- 8 slices bread
- approximately 50g softened Nortons butter
- 15g candied lemon or orange peel, finely chopped
- 50g currants
- 275ml Nortons whole milk
- 50g caster sugar
- Zest of half a lemon
- 3 free range eggs
- Grated nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/180oC and generously butter a rectangular baking dish.
- Butter the bread and, leaving the crusts on, arrange the bread over the base of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle over the candied peel and the currants.
- Measure out the milk into a jug, stir in the caster sugar and lemon zest, then whisk in the eggs.
- Pour the mixture over the bread, sprinkle over some freshly grated nutmeg, and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.